Monday 25 July 2011

Soo Rest Day

Being just past halfway, this rest day was a time for rejuvenation. Chris, Isabel and I spent a good two hours cleaning our bikes and installing new chains.


It's so nice to see your chain and cogs completely free of filth, and when Chris and I rode down the street for food, we could feel and hear the difference. Comparisons were made to silk, butter and babies' bums.

On the rejuvenation front, there was also a new razor blade, silky smooth legs and clipped toenails. Exciting stuff!

Even more exciting was the morning visit from the tour organizers, Bud and Margo. There has been some discontent brewing among the riders for some time over various things ranging from campsite conditions to route selection to food options. An email was sent a few weeks ago enumerating those concerns and this was our chance to finally hash it out face-to-face.

To say there were tense moments would be an understatement. On the bright side, over a couple of hours the tone improved from hostile to grudgingly respectful. On the down side, coming out of three meeting I don't think the riders had the feeling that many of the concerns would be addressed.

For my part, I have always looked at Cycle Canada's role as supporting my personal quest to cross the country, rather than providing me a luxurious vacation wherein I ride my bike every day. For whatever reason, other's had higher expectations and a few riders are very disappointed. It's a bit of a downer, but I think those same people will look back at this experience fondly when all is said and done.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

1 comment:

  1. I like your positive outlook on this trip. Its not everyday that one would get to do something like this and roughing it for a little bit will make one appreciate the luxuries of home life even more so.

    ReplyDelete