Wednesday 27 July 2011

Day 35 - (much to my) Shaguin(, ) dah (road was bumpy)

The day started with good news. When I mentioned yesterday that I was thinking about getting a bike fit, Ilan emailed a friend in Toronto who is a competitive masters cyclist. His friend contacted his "fit guy" right away and gave us his contact information. I now have an appointment for 5:00 Saturday, just when we'll be rolling into town. A professional bike fit is something I've thought of getting for years. Whether or not it helps with my knees, I'm looking forward to seeing the process.

Before I called to make the appointment, I rode at a higher intensity than normal, trying to reproduce the knee problem so I could describe it. Of course, there was no problem whatsoever. I guess these things only show up on their own terms. On the bright side, I made good time. Over the 165 km, I averaged in the high 20's (aided by tailwinds but hampered by bad roads).


Following the instructions we were given, I took the Lee Valley Road between Massey and Espanola. There was no traffic and the scenery might have nice, but I was too distracted by my bones being rattled out of their sockets to notice. The rest of the group wisely stuck to the highway.

As we approached Manitulan Island (the largest island surrounded by fresh water in the world), the terrain became interesting. Expanses of flat rock looked like abandoned parking lots.


Before we knew it (I was now riding with Ilan and Owen), we were at Batman's, a huge campground with a couple of beaches, an arcade, a playground and lots of kids.


It was nice to get into camp early and just sit around for a while. On this trip, every second that the weather is nice and we're not getting bitten by mosquitos is appreciated.


Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

1 comment:

  1. Good Lord - looks like quite a detour off the main road to that campground...I wonder why the tour (pronounce 'tooor') guides chose that one?

    ReplyDelete