Friday 22 July 2011

Day 31 - O (please don't swing that) bat (in) anga

The thundershowers last night went on for hours, at one point forcing some of us to take cover in the truck. Fortunately the rain had stopped by morning, but everything was still wet. My helmet had been sitting out in the rain all night, so when I put it on, there was a steady stream of cold water running down my forehead.

Although it wasn't raining, it was cold and damp, and still very foggy. I rode with Chris and Isabel to start and gave Chris my batteries because my tail light had stopped working (it does that when it gets wet, i.e. just when it's needed the most). We huddled together with Chris in the back, hoping that his light and our reflective triangles would keep us out of danger. At home I would never ride in those conditions, but we didn't have much choice.

The fog stayed with us for about three hours before finally lifting. At that point we'd only done 55 out of 150 km.


I was anxious to get into camp to dry out my stuff, so I went ahead on my own. The temperature rose quickly and I soon found myself removing layers. I was also working fairly hard and, thanks to the hilly terrain, passed all but two of the other riders up the road. My knees held together petty well but did occasionally remind me not to get carried away. Party poopers.

An aside... in the last two days we've seen a lot of other cyclists on the road. We even rode with one of them for a while yesterday, Sam, who is going across the country on his own. I would guess that on the trip so far, we've met at least a dozen other groups crossing the country on bikes. I would bet that at least 100 people are doing it this year. What a bunch of loonies!

I ended up at camp about an hour earlier than yesterday, despite leaving an hour later. I even had time for a quick dip in the lake and man, that felt good.



Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

No comments:

Post a Comment