Friday 22 July 2011

Day 30 - (got me on my) Neys

What a day. We knew it was going to be tough at over 160 km, but conditions on the road raised the bar to another level.

We had headwinds, many big hills, roads in varying states of (dis)repair and with about 30 km left to go I noticed that I was surrounded by black clouds. Soon, the skies opened up and I was in the middle of a thunderstorm. I tried to find some shelter against a cliff face but out was no use. Eventually I carried on, glad that I had new batteries in my tail light because visibility was pretty bad. I was even worried I might miss the turn off to the campground.

I did make it to camp some time after 6. I left Nipigon at 7:40 this morning so it was as long day. My mistake was having two long lunch stops on the road, but then hindsight is 20/20, isn't it?

In other news, I'm sad to announce the passing of my Nikon point-and-shoot camera that I was using for almost all my pictures. A bump in the road yesterday threw its lenses out of wack. I did manage a few pictures with my phone along the route, which was quite scenic in spots as it climbed rocky cliffs beside Lake Superior. It reminded me a bit of the Cabot Trail.



To do: look up the definition of escarpment.


Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

No comments:

Post a Comment