Saturday 9 July 2011

Day 21 - Portage la Prairie (aka Porridge la Prairie)

The adversity continued last night in Minnedosa as, for the first time on this trip, I had trouble getting to sleep. I had set up my tent in what I thought was a secluded spot only to have several huge RVs park next to it. As it happened, the occupants of these RVs were chatty and in no hurry to go to bed. Even with my trusty earplugs, I could hear every word they were saying. Finally at 2:10 am I shifted into assertive mode, got out of my tent, walked in the general direction of their campfire (I couldn't see anything else) and asked them politely to be quiet. I guess I cut an imposing figure in the dark because they immediately abandoned their fire and nothing else was heard. I felt like a hero.

Four hours of sleep later we were on the road again, riding through the endless farmland of Manitoba.


I rode with Chris, trying to take it easy on my knee. We had a sweet tailwind most of the day which made that much easier to do and we made good time despite my handicap.

We arrived at Miller's Camping Resort outside Portage la Prairie at 3:30 and I have to say that this has been my best camping experience so far. The showers are great, all the facilities are close to our tents, and supper was served at 5 so we've had lots of time to do laundry, write in our blogs and goof around.

I get a kick out of a lot of the random things that come up during our down time. For example (one of many), Owen explained the connection between reversible underwear and the Beatles song "Eight Days a Week."

And here's a look at the weird "tan" lines I got from my gloves and warmers:


One more short day tomorrow and then a rest day in Selkirk. We're already a third of the way through!


Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm-you'll have to explain the underwear thing to me later...you're really covering a lot of ground in conversation topics too I guess...

    ReplyDelete