Friday 29 July 2011

Day 38 - Tottenham

Sometimes I think if it weren't for this blog, I might lose my mind. This morning I awoke at around 5:15 to the sound of water beating down on the tent... hard. I knew that our tents were in a bit of a depression so it was only a matter of time before the water would start coming in. Sure enough, things got wetter and wetter until half of my mattress was floating. In the dark, I scrambled to get my stuff out of there and ran to the shelter of the truck.

One by one, the others did the same until we were all huddled in the truck. It was really coming down hard for several hours. Here is where my tent and three others had been:


The connection with blogging? When something like this happens, I can always say "at least it'll make an interesting blog entry."

The breakfast routine was further disrupted when the canopy covering the cooking area collapsed under the weight of water. I was ready relatively early due to the early wake up call so I set out on my own.

Fortunately the weather cleared up and I was able to appreciate the scenery and towns. I stopped for lunch at a nice cafe in Creemore.


The special was spaghetti and meatballs for ten bucks. The woman said she thought it might be too heavy for someone on a bike ride but I assured her that wouldn't be a problem.

The scenery was mostly of fields, including lots of corn. And lots of hills.


After the tough start, it turned into a nice day of riding and the kilometers melted away quickly. The one remaining challenge is getting to sleep with the cacophony of screaming kids, latin music, barking dogs and passing trains surrounding us. Ear plugs are my friend.


Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

No comments:

Post a Comment