Saturday 16 July 2011

Day 27 - Sha- (rp pain in my) -baqua (side) Corners

The theme for last night and this morning was "mosies" (mosquitos). They were in my tent biting me as I tried to sleep. Even when they weren't biting, the slightest movement of a hair sent me into swatting mode. Not the most restful night.

This morning, we just couldn't wait to get on the road again, not for what lay ahead, but to escape before we were eaten alive. I'm sure it would have been comical to watch us all flailing our limbs like rock and roll dancers from the 60's. I was the last out of the campsite at 8.

Currently, several of the guys on the tour are dealing with butt problems. In Atikokan, Owen and Ilan wisely called into the pharmacy for diaper rash medication and baby powder. A day of pampering later, they appear to be in good spirits. For my part, I'm still having some issues (that's probably enough detail for this blog), but I'm optimistic that I'll be able to deal with them in short order.

The highlight of today's ride was a stop at Quetico North Outfitters for a hot turkey sandwich, mashed potatoes, a delicious chocolate milkshake (thanks to Cat for the recommendation) and apple pie. Everything was great and that was a good thing because there wasn't really anywhere else to stop the whole day.

At km 70, we crossed another continental divide, this one dividing water flowing to the Arctic and Atlantic oceans. I wanted to touch a stream to feel a connection to the Atlantic, but there were none to be found. At least there was a sign.


Failed culinary experiment of the day: peanut butter, nutella and shreddies sandwich. Too dry.


Now I have ruthlessly assassinated every insect in my tent and am ready for a good night's sleep.

Today's track
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps some slices of banana in it will help with your fun sandwich.

    ReplyDelete