Monday 4 July 2011

Day 16 - (let them eat) Craik

After the hard day and late night yesterday, I was in no mood for an early start this morning. I "slept in" until 6:40 and slowly got ready, finally leaving on my own around 9.

I met Chris, Isabel and Jim in Kenaston (blizzard capital of Canada) and we ate at the only cafe we could find, run by a man from Laos. The Chow Mein was great!

The rest of the ride became an exercise in frustration due to the horribly inadequate shoulder and high traffic on route 11, the main corridor between Saskatoon and Regina.


This is really a worst case scenario for a cyclist. You either have to ride on the road and hope that no one runs you over at 110 km/h or test your bike handling on the unpaved shoulder (not easy on skinny tires).

For a while I tried the shoulder while shouting obscenities at Saskatchewan. This is the kind of thing I sometimes do when riding alone. In the middle of one of my rants, "Bunch of f...ing..." I looked over and there was the young woman I had met yesterday comfortably passing me on the road. "oh, hi!" I said sheepishly. She laughed awkwardly and from that point on I stuck to the road.

Now I'm lying in the tent as it is getting pounded by a vicious thunderstorm. So far I'm still dry and cozy, and very thankful it didn't happen a few hours earlier.


Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

No comments:

Post a Comment