Monday 8 August 2011

Day 46 - Trois Rivieres

Getting out of Montreal was gloriously simple, following a bike path (the green line) for the first 40 k or so.


Montreal has really bought into the separated bike path idea. I have mixed feelings about bike paths because they take cyclists out of the consciousness of drivers, until the two worlds collide (sometimes literally) at intersections. In Montreal it seems to work pretty well because the paths can follow the river without crossing many streets, and we certainly saw lots of people using them.

I was proud of myself for putting two French words together today while passing someone "sur gauche". I had been nervous about Quebec but I don't feel so bad for being an ignorant anglophone this time. Maybe it's because as I get older I care less about what others think of me, or maybe it's because I'm in the company of a few others with even less French. It would be a shame to miss out on places like Montreal because of anglo-guilt as it really is a gem of a city.

For today's ride, I started with Isabel and I guess we were making good time because we passed the three musketeers and caught up with the A Team (Ilan and Owen) shortly after leaving the city. The four of us worked together against the headwind for the rest of the day, arriving in good shape after 138 km.

Here's a look at our campsite in Trois Rivieres. Best campsite showers of the trip and (so far) quiet neighbours.



Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

1 comment:

  1. I believe I stayed at that same campground, in one of the tent lots, when I drove to Toronto! :)

    ReplyDelete