Saturday 6 August 2011

Day 44 - Hudson

The day started with a beautiful ride along the canal and on to Sussex Drive in Ottawa.


At 8 am on Saturday, there were hardly any cars on the roads.

I rode with the three musketeers, taking the ferry across the river into Quebec. Finally, we're out of Ontario!


Just like the transition from the prairies, the transition from English to French speaking Canada was sudden. It's a shock to suddenly feel like a foreigner in your own country.

We stopped for some food, and I ordered in half-francais: "Bonjour... Uhhhh.. club sandwich si vous plais" Since I have no idea whether "club sandwich" is masculine or feminine, "uhhhh" would have to do for "un/une". We finished the transaction mostly en englais.

Later on, Ilan and Owen caught up to us and, feeling good, I continued with them. We made good time along the river but it was getting really hot. Eventually, we stopped to get some drinks. Here, I had to do something more complicated than order off a menu (I needed change... changer ca?), so I resorted to "parlez vous Englais?" I'm sure it won't be the last time.

It was a long ride: 164 km in the hot sun, and our last century of the tour.It's all "easier" days from now on.


Today's track

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.3

1 comment:

  1. I used to live in Hudson...well I went to school in Hudson and lived next door in St. Lazare.

    ReplyDelete